The Sheraton Bahrain Hotel is totally sold out for the Formula One Grand Prix, and this is even without promotional rates or packages, according to Rafat Kazi, public relations manager of the hotel.
He added that the hotel is always sold out during this period, and this year it runs from 4 to 6 April.
“The majority of guests occupying the rooms come from Europe and Australia, amounting to 80 per cent of the total,” he said. The remaining 20 per cent are Arab guests.
Al Safir Hotel & Tower however, does still have space and is working together with travel agents on packages for this Formula One period. “There have been many bookings but there is still availability,” said Stephen Daniel, director of sales and marketing. Again, the ratio is predominantly international guests and 30 per cent Arab guests.
The Bahrain Grand Prix first took place at the Bahrain International Circuit on 4 April 2004. Sponsored by Gulf Air, the race made history as the first Formula One Grand Prix to be held in the Middle East.
Bahrain again hosts the third race of the season this year. The new Yas Island circuit in Abu Dhabi expected to take over the role on its inauguration in 2009.
Price of tickets ranges from a three day pass in the main grandstand for BD150 ($399); for race day only BD120 ($319); to the Victory grandstand, three day pass for BD and BD25 ($66) for race day.
TTN is the most established trade publication in the Middle East distributed on a controlled circulation basis to members of the travel and tourism industry.
Published monthly by Al Hilal Publishing and Marketing Group, the region’s foremost trade publisher, TTN is aimed at professionals in the industry, from travel agents to airline and hotel personnel.
TTN provides in-depth and extensive coverage of relevant issues in the Middle East and North Africa as well as in other parts of the world. Travel related news, analysis, and new appointments together with information on up-coming exhibitions, marketing and promotional campaigns are presented in an innovative and striking colour tabloid.
Every issue also contains a collation of international and regional news and topical features of interest to readers.