1. When in Colombo, take a stroll down the Galle Face Green.
It is an enchanting place with where people gather to take in the cool sea breeze from the Indian Ocean to beat the heat.
2. The World Trade Centre in Colombo Fort is an impressive building which houses the offices of many major companies and banks. You can get some lovely tea here.
3. If the Gulf traveller gets a bit homesick, then the Galadari hotel is the place to go. They can enjoy their favourite Arabic food along with puffs of the shisha.
4. The Pinnawale Elephant Orphanage is an absolute must. Make sure you are there around noon to witness elephants coming out of the water after playing around in the river. You can also check out some of the spice gardens on the way and buy some fresh stuff to spice up the curry.
5. Visit the Temple of Tooth Relic in the historical town of Kandy. You can take in a cultural show in the evenings close to the temple. The botanical garden near Kandy is worth a look.
6. The tea gardens of Nuwara Ilya are fascinating. The long, winding road which takes you to the town is surrounded by tea gardens and occasional waterfalls, making it absolutely breath-taking.
7. The Tea Factory hotel is a great place to stay in Nuwara Ilya. As its name suggests, the hotel was a tea factory before. The essence of a tea factory is maintained with machinery still present in the hotel.
8. The Kandalama Hotel in the town of the same name is a place not to be missed. The hotel is in the midst of an environmentally friendly area. Thick vegetation greets the visitor along with plentiful of monkeys. The food is good and the service excellent.
9. Near Kandalama is the historical town of Dambulla. There are some fascinating historical places to visit there.
10. Bentota is absolute heaven. The pristine beaches are the ideal place to relax. Many of the hotels have their own private beaches too.